On 15 June 2021, we acknowledged the very special founder of the Courage Initiative, Lea Froman as we marked six months since her passing.
“The English dictionary defines love as “a profoundly tender, passionate affection of another person”, and further defines profound as, “penetration or entering deeply into subjects of thought or knowledge; having deep insight or understanding”.
This six months on the journey of grief has confirmed for me just how profoundly I loved this woman. I wake to a deep empty darkness every day, and the daily realisation that I will never see her again………It has been a period of steep introspection and a period of huge learning and appreciation.
They say a friend in need is a friend indeed, and through this tough period we have been blessed to have had incredible – truly incredible – support from amazing people, who have fed, loved, and supported me and my girls over this time. Thank you. Your love and friendship will forever be part of our foundations.
Over this period, I have grown to appreciate the value of kindness. Kindness has come from the most unexpected corners and continues to help us build and grow. I am absolutely convinced that each of our own true salvation, lies in showing kindness and in receiving kindness.
Exactly a year ago we were working 16 hour days in final prep of the Courage Online Auction of 16 June 2020. For all the talented people who stood up and made that initiative the groundbreaking success it was I say thank you and apologise that I am yet to meet most of you. ” – David Froman
Since its inception in March 2020, Lea’s Courage Initiative has managed to:
- Galvanize a group of talented people to work together to improve the lives of all who reside in Hout Bay.
- Further a growing culture of collaboration of good people bringing kindness to our valley.
- Supply enough food into needy areas that assisted in creating a feeling of abundance throughout the challenging lock down.
- Fund and support the establishment of the of the Love in a Bowl food growing initiative.
- Collaborate and partner with other social impact initiatives
Over the past 14 months we have:
- Delivered 35 000 food parcels
- +- 517 tons of fresh veggies delivered
- Supplied enough food for +-1.845 million meals
- Supported 15500 families
- The Courage Online Auction has inspired the support of other NGO’s through the online auction space which has allowed fund raising to continue for these organisations throughout this trying time.
As we look forward beyond the challenges of food, we are now engaged with looking at other areas where we can make a difference in our community.
We love the work Tjarla and the Community Cook Up team are doing and we want to ensure that this amazing initiative continues to grow and flourish.
We are supporting the Sisonke Boxing Club and we are looking at other opportunities where we can make a difference. It feels great to feel and see the fruits of kindness and I am so grateful life afforded me this opportunity to get more in touch with my own humanity and for showing me that we all can make a difference.
Thank you again for your love and support. Please use today to take a moment to think about Lea and to ask yourself: “What can I do to bring some kindness to my neighbourhood“?
As Lea said: “Doing nothing for others will be our undoing”
If you are considering supporting this initiative here are the easy ways you can contribute: